Sunday, December 30, 2012

New Year's Pie

Once upon a time, when I was rather small, my friend and I decided to make a pie for New Year's. We were probably 9 or 10 at the time and not actually able or willing to bake on our own. So we 'invented' a pie by smuggling ingredients from the kitchen. These ingredients included what you would normally use in pies: flour, sugar, and water (okay maybe not that one).

And that was it. Quite literally a paper mache pie with sugar. To the best of knowledge, this actually tasted okay but obviously it was probably terrible. We mixed it in a pie pan in her bedroom and waited for it to set by hiding it under her bed. I'm not sure what happened after that because I went home (whoooops) but my guess is it was discovered and promptly discarded.

And so kids, don't invent pies unless you're Keri Russell in Waitress. But do make resolutions.This is what I have so far but I'm not sure if they count as resolutions:

1. Find people and/or excuses to cook for whether that be bringing food to work (check), to friends (check) or finding random excuses to do some theme cooking (like the premiere of Downton Abbey, tea and scones? I think yes).

2. Take a photo a day, Instagram or not but probably Instagram. This is not some effort to gain a huge following but a reminder to find one thing photo worthy (aka: beautiful) each day. Some believe that social media and Instagram take away from living in the moment, that we become so busy updating we forget to enjoy. That might be true but if it helps me remember to appreciate the day and find something good in it, or bad, but note something about the day.

3. Trim the fat. No, this is not a health/body resolution. This is more about getting rid of things I don't use or need anymore. Old clothes I haven't worn in a year but maaaybe will come in handy. Let it go. I don't need to own a bunch of books but I have a hard time parting with them, like old friends I can revisit. Except I haven't revisited them since high school. Time to share them with others. Do I need to keep the small tv with a built-in VCR? I mean I have VHS tapes (classic) and it was free but it's not necessary as it gathers dust on the floor. This kind of excess is not needed and someone else might be able to use it more.

4. This past summer I went on a little adventure and during this adventure was presented with the opportunity to jump off a cliff into a lake. Sounds really awesome but also terrifying. I'm all for the thrill and adrenaline rush of experiences but heights are somewhat frightening. The hardest part was stepping off the edge, naturally. After that, gravity took over and I enjoyed the thrill. Taking the first step is the hardest part. So, my 2013 motto will be something along the lines of take a risk, take the plunge and let gravity (or the universe) take care of the rest. Call it a leap of faith. I should get better at that. One way or another, it will work out. It might be scary and it might take a steady countdown from friends, but in the end, it's worthwhile. I won't say Carpe Diem because I'm pretty sure that was my resolution in like 2005 but take the plunge. That may also mean jumping out an airplane....

So congratulations to us, we made it to 2013. Enjoy it, have fun with it, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment