Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Rhubarb Moscow Mules (and Fail Donuts)

The theme of the last few posts has been rhubarb, moving from rhubarb baked goods into ice cream and drinks. Well, this post will sort of be the end of rhubarb items for awhile. I have more tricks up my sleeve for this plant! I recently read about the popular drink known as a Moscow Mule. It seems like a great summer drink and alternative to mojitos. I also have an unhealthy love of ginger beer, which is misleading because it's a type of soda like root beer and contains no alcohol, so I've been sipping dark 'n stormies recently.

Gosling's ginger beer is also a good option (comes in a can with a seal on it)

A Moscow Mule was invented to get rid of vodka back in the 1800's because it wasn't a popular liquor (yet). It is usually served in a copper mug with crushed ice and mint leaves. Ginger beer and lemon juice are added to the mint over ice along with the vodka. Instant condensation will occur.

You can almost see my reflection!
Based on the success of the rhubarb gin fizz and inspired by a pin for a strawberry Moscow Mules, I decided to use some of the rhubarb syrup with this beverage to put a little Lemon twist on this drink. It definitely gave it a sweeter tinge and balanced the tang of the ginger beer very well. The rhubarb taste wasn't as strong as in the gin fizz but I also opted not to include the lemon juice in this variety. This is best enjoyed sitting outside on a summer evening.

I'm doing it right
I also tried to fill donuts with rhubarb sauce (not syrup) but alas, no success. Don't get me wrong, the donut with the sugar and the rhubarb was amazing but the process of donut-making was a mess. I have a history of not being able to make bready things or anything that requires yeast (see Parker House Rolls) so I tried to make these donuts and ended up with a) very small ones b) very not risen ones c) couldn't punch a hole to add the rhubarb so ate them straight and dipped in rhubarb sauce.







Ultimately I did eat a bunch of these donut holes but my plan to recreate malasadas from Hawaii with rhubarb filling failed pretty miserably. And by failed miserably, I mean failed deliciously because in the kitchen, that's how we roll.

Soon we'll be baking with avocados and talking about what the moon should be made out of....

Recipe for Moscow Mules
  1. Fill a glass (or copper mug) with ice and 2-3 mint leaves.
  2. Pour 2 ounces (one shot) of vodka over ice.
  3. Top off with ginger beer and give a gentle stir.
  4. Add a splash of rhubarb syrup or lemon juice if desired.

1 comment:

  1. I recently read about the popular drink known as a Moscow Mule. It seems like a great summer drink and alternative to mojitos. I also have an ... imoscowmule.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete