This can also be applied to things like turkey shaped pasta or dreidel pasta (it exists, my sister's getting it for Hanukkah this year), all the shapes of pasta really.
- 14 oz. of fun pasta (or regular)
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 8 oz. cheddar cheese or adult cheese of choice
- Dash of paprika (optional)
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped (optional)
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil for the pasta.
- Once the water is boiling, add the pasta noodles and cook until tender.
- While the pasta cooks, in a skillet or frying pan, melt the butter. Add the flour once the butter is melted and combine to make a paste.
- Add the milk to the skillet and mix until smooth.
- Reduce the heat to low and grate the cheese directly into the skillet, stirring as needed to help melt the cheese.
- Once all of the cheese is melted, stir to check the consistency. If the sauce is runny, add more cheese until it resembles a thick alfredo sauce.
- Add the chopped mushrooms to the sauce and remove from heat.
- Drain the pasta once it is done cooking.
- Add the sauce and chopped mushrooms to the pasta and mix until combined. You can also add paprika, salt or pepper if you choose.
- Serve hot!