Sunday, March 29, 2015

Birthday Oysters: Thoughts on Becoming a Full-Fledged Adult

Another year, another birthday, more celebrating! Growing up we didn't do 'birthday week' celebrations but in college, I had some friends that were all about birthday week so I decided to hop on the bandwagon. That's not to say I want to be the center of attention for an entire week but I like to take some time to enjoy things that I enjoy without over-thinking things.

I should tell you in all honesty that this post does not actually talk about literal oysters. So if you were looking for some oyster recipes (I don't think there are any, you eat them raw), you may have better luck elsewhere.

Graduating from 25 to 26 (we aren't aging here, we're progressing) is strange. 25 is a solid quarter century, it's smack in your  mid-twenties and you're solid in your post-college self. 26, however, is entering the confusing years of pre-30. It's like middle school for adulthood--it's awkward. I'm a planner and when I was in college, I couldn't really plan my life further than 25. That's when you no longer have those prescribed societal milestones like high school graduation, college graduation, first job etc. The future just became a black hole of unknowns. 

Low and behold, said post-25 black hole of unknowns is in fact, an oyster. The post-25 world is my oyster. A friend of a friend has recently started a blog around this topic on turning 27 and how you start to worry about the next round of life events and your expectations for being on the road to marriage by that time, freaking out if you're not at the right level in your career etc. And it occurred to me that the plan I didn't have in this unknown black hole of post-25 is behind schedule.

But I think I'm right on track.

So let's focus on some great things that are part of this awkward phase of life. This includes but is not limited to moving back into a grown up apartment where I can eat a jar of Nutella and no one has to know (quiet, Kitty, no one asked you).

#sweatieselfie

Once upon a time, I found new things intimidating. If I wasn't inherently awesome at it, it wasn't worth my time. I also founded a stereotype of spin class attendees that went something like girls wooing during class in racer back tanks. If you have extra air to 'woo', you're not working hard enough! That was then, this is now:


I've fully converted to the racer back tank woo clan. And also taking sweatie selfies because yeah, I woo'ed but I also worked my butt off.

So let's be open to new things. Because without being a novice at pilates and struggling to look graceful, how will I ever be able to do this:

Side note: It's my new mission to attend more pilates classes because like spin, it seems like a good choice and I tried it at Endurance Pilates and the woman is amazingly cheerful and awesome. Game time!

#treatyoself

Like I have any problem diving into peanut butter and Nutella jars (see above) or doing some online shopping. However, if you do something frequently, it's not really a treat. So I dug through a variety of coupons/GroupOns/gift certificates and booked me some treats. Such as getting my hair done for my birthday because I wanna look pretty and I don't want to try or get frustrated in the process. Also, massage and chocolate lunch because it's my birthday and I love chocolate and not hunching at my computer.

 #iregretnothing


I've always loved traveling but have mostly done small trips in the last few years. This year, I realized a very long dream of going to London and it was amaaaaaazing. And so, the maps and lists are coming back out for more journeys that need to be taken. Amsterdam is definitely up there (and not because of The Fault in Our Stars). I know that the time of settling down is sooner rather than later for my age group which means taking the chances and the trips now before it becomes a regret or lost opportunity. Previous regrets definitely involve reading spoilers on Downton Abbey but now, I think the stakes are a little higher.

Where will this impulsive Carpe Diem attitude take me? Who knows! But like I said, the black abyss of unknowns has become my oyster.

And of course, there was cake! So if you've made it this far, your reward is chocolate cream cheese frosting and vegan chocolate cake:

Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
  • 4 oz. (half stick) of unsalted butter, softened
  • 4 oz. (half a block) of plain cream cheese, softened
  • 1/8 cup of cocoa powder
  • 1 cup of powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Pinch of salt
  1.  In a medium bowl, beat the softened cream cheese until smooth.
  2. Add the softened butter and beat with the cream cheese until combined.
  3. Add the salt and vanilla extract along with the cocoa powder and mix until smooth.
  4. Gradually add the powdered sugar, it creates a bit of a sugar dust storm.
  5. Frost as desired (using piping or just spreading) and add sprinkles for extra flare. 




No comments:

Post a Comment