Monday, March 23, 2015

Moroccan Chickpeas

It's getting to that point where it's almost spring, it even felt like spring for a little bit there. Enough so to offer hope for warmer weather, sun dresses and melting piles of snow. Some people are worth melting for but Jack Frost ain't one of 'em. And with this promised warmer weather, I'm reminded that it's been a gluttonous winter. I'm perfectly happy to indulge in all the Christmas cookies I want (almost) and Valentine's Day chocolate but then March comes along and reminds me it's time to get my butt in gear.

So we're shifting said gears and looking at some healthy recipes. Yes, there will likely be protein shakes, I can't help myself. I need my chocolate fix and if it comes in a healthy liquid form, I'll take it. But let's start slow, let's start with healthy snacks.

Admittedly and proudly, I ate Star Wars mac and cheese to christen my new apartment. I didn't mention that I ate the whole box. Didn't the boxes last longer before? Were they smaller? No, no my stomach isn't bigger, that's nonsense. Well now I want some salmon, get me some omega 3's to go with this healthy eating thing. Plus salmon is delicious. Chickpeas are also delicious and this recipe caught my eye as being satisfactory in both the healthy and tasty departments.

When I did my first big grocery store run, I stocked up on canned beans. Black beans, kidney beans and garbanzo beans are a must have. You never know when you're going to make some chili or hummus. Or just chickpeas.

We're tossing the chickpeas with a smidgen of Parmesan cheese, some rosemary, garlic, and pepper. That's all! Spread out on a pan and roasted until crispy, these suckers are then good to go. Quick and easy side dish!

If you don't like your chickpeas roasted, or if you're looking for an entree with this side, here are some ideas on how we've used chickpeas in the past:

  1. Butternut Squash Curry
  2. Carrot Soup and Roasted Eggplant with Tahini Sauce (pardon the early blogger photos)
  3. Slow-Cooked Salmon 


Recipe
adapted from The Skinny Fork

  • 1 can of garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 teaspoon rosemary
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • Salt & pepper to taste
  1. Preheat the oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick spray. Set aside.
  2. Drain and rinse the chickpeas and place in a medium bowl.
  3. Mince the clove of garlic into small pieces. Set aside.
  4. In a small bowl, combine the rosemary, cheese, salt and pepper.
  5. Add the garlic and spice mixture to the bowl with the chickpeas. Carefully toss to caot the chickpeas. 
  6. Roll the chickpeas onto the prepared baking sheet and lightly spray with non-stick spray.
  7. Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes, rotating the peas half-way through. Cook until crisp.  
  8. Allow to cool slightly before eating. These make a great side or salad topper!



No comments:

Post a Comment