Monday, April 20, 2015

Avocado Hummus

I probably shouldn't start a food post talking about food spoilage but have you ever noticed that when hummus molds, the mold is the same color as the hummus? This makes it alarmingly difficult to tell when hummus has gone bad until you take a whiff and then you really know it's done for.

Well, my hummus went bad. And I had all these raw veggies to consume. What's a girl to do? With all those chickpeas I keep around, I busted out the food processor. I'm one of those people who think cilantro is amazing and doesn't taste like soap. I'm super pumped this required a whole bunch of cilantro.



This is really a hybrid of hummus and guacamole--what could go wrong?! I saved some of the avocado for a smoothie (more to come on that). I also added two cloves of garlic but could have gone for more garlicy flavor. 

Chickpeas, cilantro, avocado, garlic, some lemon juice and olive oil are all crushed and blended in a food processor. I chopped the cilantro a little bit because it was starting to look pretty full in my food processor. But it triumphed! I don't think you can quite get the store-bought consistency but maybe you have a super blender unlike me. It's still delicious with crackers, chips or fresh veggies! I also shamelessly ate this by the spoonful.

Recipe
  • 1 can (15oz) garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 avocado (I used just under a whole one)
  • 3 cups chopped cilantro 
  • 2 cloves of garlic (more if you'd like more garlicy flavor)
  • 3 Tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
  1. Combine the chickpeas, avocado, cilantro (chopped slightly), garlic, oil and juice in a food processor.
  2. Blend until smooth or smooth enough. I've heard removing the shells of the chickpeas is the key to smooth hummus. I'll have to try that.
  3. Dip fresh veggies or crackers in the guacamole-hummus and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment