Sunday, April 5, 2015

Deviled Eggs

Happy Easter! Happy Pesach! Happy Spring! Whatever you're celebrating this weekend, happy that! My Easter traditions are less food-oriented and more egg hunt related so in the spirit of eggy things, we're making deviled eggs. I also hated the Easter bunny so naturally, my dad always encouraged the monster to come give me a hug. Thanks, dad!

 
I don't think I ate deviled eggs until I was an adult. They probably seemed odd to me or were sitting out in the sun at one too many barbecue to venture trying. But I'm addicted. I could eat a dozen eggs (that's 24 deviled eggs), I'm sure of it. Are there deviled egg eating competitions? That could get messy.


At any rate, I decided to stick to the traditional recipe with mustard and mayo (I also didn't like mustard when I was a kid but it's growing on me). After already having collected the ingredients, I saw a recipe for guacamole deviled eggs. Holy guacamole, you had me at guac. An adventure for another day!

 
One other thing besides egg hunts that was big for me as a kid was the actual egg dyeing. I feel like there were always thoughts on making little stickers and decorations but ultimately, I'm a purist. Give me some food coloring and away we go! You also really don't need those little kits with the color tablets if you're in a jam, you can mix 1/2 cup of hot water with a teaspoon of white vinegar and food coloring to dye eggs. I'm not sure why the water has to be warm but I'm guessing the vinegar helps keep the dye on the shell. Let's go with that.

 
I'll be returning with a Passover-inspired recipe soon so if you're observing Passover, stay tuned! And even if you're not, stay tuned anyways. 

Recipe

  • 6 Hard-boiled eggs
  • 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 teaspoon white vinegar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt (aka: a dash)
  • Sprinkle of black pepper
  • Paprika for garnishing
  1. Hard boil and peel the eggs. I dyed some eggs for Easter and then peeled. It's okay if the eggs aren't peeled perfectly, mine definitely weren't.
  2. Cut the hard-boiled eggs in half (long-ways), placing the cooked yolks into a medium bowl. Crush the yolks until crumbled and powdery.
  3. Combine the egg yolks with the mayo, mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper. Mix everything until smoothly combined. 
  4. Fill each half egg with about a teaspoon of filling but really as much as you'd like. 
  5. Sprinkle with paprika and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. 
  6. Put on some pearls and hang up your apron. Change your name to June Cleaver. 

No comments:

Post a Comment