Friday, April 17, 2015

Sriracha Chicken

Last year was like the year of the sriracha sauce. The number of Halloween costumes I saw of sriracha was alarming. When did this become a thing? I'd never really given the spicy sauce much thought, or use, but am definitely now a convert. I might set my face on fire with sauces at Indian restaurants but never really considered adding spice to anything else of my own free will.

Shutterbean has definitely changed this. Ever since she added sriracha to her carrot soup, it's become a staple in my kitchen. I'm not surprised she came out with a barbecue chicken recipe using this sauce and it inspired me to do some marinading of my own.

I actually tested this recipe out and then re-made it with measurements for the blog. What is this planning madness? When I made it the first time, it was literally a dash of this, a glug of that (glug is the technical term for that sound a bottle of liquid makes when you're pouring it). And I was pretty satisfied with the result.

I used a baking dish instead of a sheet for this so the chicken could really bathe in the flavor. In a glass measuring cup, simply combine vegetable (or corn) oil, soy sauce, fish sauce and the sriracha sauce. Whisk vigorously so all those oils come together.

Pour over the chicken and allow to marinate while the oven preheats. I cooked these suckers covered, flipping them over half-way through cooking to make sure both sides got some sauce. The result was a sweet and spicy flavor but not too much heat. I also found using a covered baking pan keeps the chicken from drying out and is really delicious this way.

 

Alternatively, you can shake and bake some drumsticks or grill 'em but for me, these paired with some veggies makes for an easy weeknight meal!

Recipe
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil (or corn oil)
  • 1 teaspoon fish oil
  • 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 Tablespoon sriracha sauce (more for more heat)
  1. Preheat the oven to 350. 
  2. Add all ingredients to a bowl or measuring cup and whisk vigorously until everything is well mixed.
  3. Place chicken in a baking dish (if you're using a baking sheet, marinate the chicken in a bowl first).
  4. You can sample the marinade for heat before pouring over chicken but cover your poultry with the sauce. Stir the chicken a little to make sure both sides are coated.
  5. Bake covered for 20-30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Flip the chicken half-way through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment