I tried making angel food cake once before and while it tasted great, the consistency was a little dense. This was in part due to the difficulty I had getting the cake out of the ungreased pan. But since that was the main pitfall, I decided cupcakes would be safe in their individually wrapped-ness.
Egg whites are beaten before mixing the sugar in and forming medium peaks. I prefer to call these mild peaks because what is medium? Mild just means we're part-way there. Medium speed. As the dry ingredients are slowly added, the batter is growing. Like actually expanding. Ultimately, you want it to hold its own shape so if you drag a spoon through it, you are parting the batter sea and it's not filling up the divet you just made.
- 3/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 egg whites, at room temperature
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line a cupcake pan with liners.
- In a food processor, pulse the sugar until very fine.
- In a small bowl, combine half of the sugar with all of the cake flour and salt.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg whites, water, vanilla extract and cream of tartar. Whisk together until combined.
- Switching to a hand mixer, beat the egg mixture while adding the reserved half of the sugar. Continue mixing until medium (mild) peaks form.
- Set aside the hand mixer and dust the egg mixture with the flour mix, folding in with a rubber spatula. Repeat until all of the flour mixture has been incorporated.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- In heat proof bowl or double boiler, combine the cream and chocolate set over a pan of water.
- Heat the water and stir the cream and chocolate until it begins to melt together
- If your mix comes out too liquidy, add more chocolate. If it's too thick, add more cream.
- Once the mixture is completely combined, remove from heat.
- Allow to cool before frosting the cupcakes.