Sunday, March 6, 2016

Sunday Reading: The Perfect Portion Cookbook

A couple weeks ago, I was approached to take a look at a new cookbook that was being released, The Perfect Portion Cookbook by Anson Williams, Bob Warden and Mona Dolgov. Initially, I was hesitant. Whenever I hear something about portions or 100-calories, I think of portion control and diets within a specific calorie count.

But, you know what they say, "Never judge a book by its cover" (--er, its title, its cover looks delicious). And I have to say, I'm glad I gave it a go. The cookbook is very informative on what qualifies as a 'portion' when you're cooking food at home and there isn't a handy nutrition label to tell you. It also educates you on how much 100-calories looks like but as a guideline for determining serving size or 'perfect portion' (I see what they did there).

The 150 recipes are divided into ten sections for different types of food: casseroles, snacks, breakfast food, sides, pretty much anything you could want. The recipes focus on your good old fashioned homegrown dishes like meatloaf and mac 'n cheese with new and easy things to add to your meal rotation like ratatouille and honey mustard salmon (yes please!).

I also love how they include behind-the-scenes photos showing the authors preparing some of the recipes. When trying something new, I appreciate the photos so I know how it's meant to look as a final product.

I gave the Honey Mustard Salmon recipe a whirl. An easy marinade of Dijon mustard, honey, lemon juice and dill gave a nice tangy flavor to a fish I prepare the same way over and over.

You can purchase The Perfect Portion Cookbook on QVC's website or through Amazon.

Recipe
from The Perfect Portion Cookbook

  • 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 2 Tablespoons honey
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 2 teaspoons chopped dill
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 4 4oz. salmon fillets
  1. In a mixing bowl, stir the mustard, honey, lemon juice, dill and spices together to make a glaze.
  2. Place the salmon fillets in the glaze, fish-side down (skin-up). Toss until evenly coated.
  3. Cover the marinaded fish and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
  4. Preheat the oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. The skin will stick to the parchment paper as the fish cooks, making it easier to get the fish off the pan.
  5. Place the marinated salmon fillets on the pan, drizzling any remaining glaze on top. 
  6. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the thickest fillet is cooked through. 



1 comment:

  1. I liked this cookbook a lot more than I thought I would too! I found the portion control thing helpful but the recipes aren't brain busters and can totally be done with what normal home cooks have in their pantry!

    ReplyDelete