Regardless of which one you want to try, all of the ingredients are blended in a food processor. I put everything in there at once but recommend processing the nuts first before adding your other ingredients. For the chocolate recipe, I used chocolate protein powder so needed to balance the dry ingredients with coconut oil to make everything stick together.
The second version had more cashews and lemon juice instead of protein powder so no additional oil was needed. Then they were also rolled in coconut but topped with lemon zest.
- 12 Medjool dates, pitted (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/3 cup unsalted cashew pieces
- 1/3 cup chocolate protein powder
- 4 Tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil (more if the mixture is dry)
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut, divided
- In a food processor, coarsely chop the cashews. Add the pitted dates, protein powder, chia seeds, 2 Tablespoons of shredded coconut. Pulse to combine.
- Add the coconut oil a little at a time. Mix in the food processor until the ingredients bind together. Add more coconut oil as needed until you can compress the ingredients together and they stay.
- Using a spoon or melon baller, scoop dough into your hands and roll into bite sized balls. Roll in remaining shredded coconut and place on a sheet of wax paper.
- You can freeze or refrigerate these until you're ready for a snack!
- 1 cup unsalted cashew pieces
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 8 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons chia seeds
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- In a food processor, pulse together the cashews, oats and coconut until they are combined and resemble a course meal.
- Add the dates, water, chia seeds and lemon juice. You can also zest some of the lemon into the food processor for more lemon flavor. Pulse to combine.
- In a small bowl, add some coconut flakes and lemon zest. This will be for rolling.
- Set up a tray with wax paper. Using a spoon or melon baller, scoop the dough out of the food processor and roll between your hands.
- Roll in the coconut and lemon zest before placing on the wax paper. Repeat until all of the dough is used.
- I kept these in individual containers in the fridge as a grab and go snack but you could also freeze them!
Each recipe makes about 10 snack bites