So in this case, our bonus items are lemon zest and poppyseeds. Lemon zest (zest in general) is very strong and a little goes a long way. The one down side to zest is the actual zesting. Many a knuckle skin has been lost to an overzealous zesting and there's a whole graveyard for sponges that died trying to clean the graters. But I've found that a bottle brush (like for baby bottles) is perfect for cleaning a zester! Pro tip, you're welcome.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2/3 cup refined sugar (or light brown sugar)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons poppyseeds
- 1 Tablespoon grated lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Prepare the muffin pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the melted butter, milk, eggs and vanilla with the sugar and lemon zest.
- Carefully add the butter mixture to the dry ingredients and fold together until incorporated.
- Add the poppyseeds and fold together until evenly mixed.
- Fill the muffin cups half-way and bake until golden brown.