Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Pumpkin Waffles

I promise this is the end of the pumpkin. As an addendum to pumpkin scones (they came from the same can of pumpkin, it's relevant), I had a dream that I did give them to people and this girl got mad about something else and was ranting about how bad the scones were. Does that count as a nightmare? If that happened in real life, my baking reputation would be ruined, I would lose my credibility! Nightmare, I have very little street cred as it is.

So I actually lied about how many blogs I know about, I forgot Smitten Kitchen. She has a new cookbook out, btw. There is a spectacular recipe for pumpkin waffles. For me, myself and I, I halved the recipe and it made three waffles (one for me, one for myself and one for I). I know it's a lot easier to just use a mix and believe me, I have that instant Bisquick in my cabinet (because Bisquick has so many ingredients to add, you need the super easy Bisquick that just requires water) but I'm telling you, you just measure a few extra things and you get homemade waffles. Your street cred will definitely improve, the words "made from scratch" are super impressive.

My dad made waffles every Sunday growing up, it was the best tradition ever! And he would go all out, complete with Cool Whip and strawberries and bacon (soooo much bacon, there is a fantastically embarrassing story about me and large quantities of bacon). So waffles have a special place in my heart and last year for my birthday, I got a waffle iron and now I make ze waffles on weekends (not all weekends, I'm just one person). This is probably the first time I didn't burn the first one, I never quite get a handle on the amount of batter to use or the timer. Note to self: it's more batter than you think and 2 minutes. 

Separated! They're separated!
There are two spectacular things about this process and my baking education. First and foremost, I separated not one egg but two. It was so glorious, no shells and no mixing! Secondly, I then made the egg whites into fluffy fluffy...egg whites. I don't think I whipped the egg whites enough, breakfast was calling.

Mix and whipped egg whites
 And so I made waffles and coffee and had brunch all to myself--for 3 straight days, including Monday. Do you know how much better Mondays are when they start with waffles?? Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis much. It got me to about 3:30, then I was ready for Monday to be over (sadly, Mondays end at like 9pm).
Om nom waffles

No comments:

Post a Comment