|Tulips are just as red and lovely as roses and not cliche|
|So much cheesy goodness|
|The main ingredients for poached pears, besides pears|
|It's like a pear hot tub in here|
|The final compilation|
- 8 pears
- Peels and juice from 2 oranges
- Assorted spice such as cloves, all-spice, or anise (original recipe calls for 4 whole-star anise but I improvised with cloves and all-spice in random measurements)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 split vanilla beans (or a dash of vanilla if you're like me and don't have the beans)
- 1 bottle of red wine
- 1 1/4 cups of port
- 1 1/4 cup of sugar
- 4 Tablespoons of honey
- Combine all ingredients except the pears in a large saucepan. Heat the wine, port, sugar and spice mixture until the sugar has all dissolved.
- Peel the pears while keeping the stems intact and place them upright in the pan, submerging them in the wine.
- Cover the pot and simmer for 25-30 minutes until they are purple in color.
- Leave the pears in the liquid for another hour before transferring to serving bowl.
- Bring the liquid back to a boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes until syrupy (good luck). Alternatively, spoon the liquid over the pears, even if syrup consistency is not achieved.