As we round out the pumpkin/apple season, we're off to squash and then cookies and egg nog. I'm pretty pumped and even though egg nog is currently available in the grocery store, I'm holding off until my house smells like trees.
adapted from The Pioneer Woman (makes about 4-5 mason jars)
- 12 small apples (or 6-8 regular sized ones)
- Note: I used golden delicious but you can use other varieties too
- Generous 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of allspice
- Juice from half a lemon (or one squeeze from the lemon juice bottle)
- 1/2 cup apple cider (or apple juice)
- Peel the apples and use a corer to divide into slices.
- In a large bowl, combine the apple slices, spices, brown sugar and lemon juice.
- Add the apple mixture to a medium size pot. Pour the apple cider over the mixture.
- Cook the apples over medium heat until the fruit is cooked through and tender.
- If desired, set aside some apple pieces to use as dessert topping.
- Otherwise, use an immersion blender to roughly blend the mixture into an applesauce consistency.