Overall a successful spookfest was had by all. And most importantly, IT'S ALMOST CHRISTMAS TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!! Too much too soon? I think not.
makes about 18 small caramel apples
- 2 Tablespoons corn syrup
- 2 Tablespoons of water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2-3 drops black food coloring (or combine red, blue and yellow together)
- Wash, dry and de-stem the apples prior to dipping in caramel. Line the clean apples on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Attach lollipop sticks or natural sticks to the top.
- In a heat proof, microwavable bowl, combine the water, corn syrup and sugar. Cook in the microwave until the mixture is a deep amber color. You can also do this on the stove.
- Once the sugar is darkened, stir in the heavy cream, salt, vanilla and food coloring. Stir until combined and then add the butter until it is melted and smooth.
- Allow the caramel to cool slightly. Dip the apples in the caramel one at a time, turning to coat the entire apple. Ideally, the excess will drip off of the apple in about 20 seconds and you can then place it back on the wax paper.
- Dip in sprinkles if desired. If the caramel isn't sticking to the apple, trying cooling the caramel longer or chill the apples.