Just remember, nothing is perfect and the truffles don't have to look perfectly smooth or Pinterest worthy. Just look at these splendid examples of Pinterest failures. And this clip from Meet the Robinsons where failure is celebrated with great enthusiasm.
Enjoy the weekend, decorate your tree, make some truffles and drink some egg nog! Holiday parties are among us in full force but don't let that get you down, embrace the cheer!
- In a small saucepan, heat the heavy cream until it begins to bubble.
- Combine the 6 ounces of chocolate, warm butter, and hot cream in a bowl. Gently stir until the chocolate is melted.
- Stir in the peppermint extract.
- Cover the mixture with plastic wrap pressed against the surface of the dough. Allow to chill in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
- While the dough chills, crush 3-4 candy canes for decoration, if desired.
- Once the dough is set, use a spoon or melon baller to form small truffle balls.
- Melt the remaining chocolate in a double boiler or the microwave.
- Dip the truffle balls into the melted chocolate and place on a tray lined with wax paper.
- Sprinkle with crushed candy canes or sprinkles.
- You can store truffles in an airtight container for up to one week.