Friday, January 16, 2015

Pecan Fudge and Resolutions

Let's talk about New Year's. Specifically, the year 2015. I feel like I had an epiphany this year that New Year's Eve is just another weekend outing, nothing crazy but some extra bubbly, fancy dresses and of course sparkly hats. But it does give you a designated time for reflection. This year in particular, I had a time capsule to open from my 10 year-old self. I thought I had put some predictions in there about living in Paris when I was 25 or being a doctor by now (neither of which came true).

But actually, what I found was a note from myself telling future me about what I liked, who I was and who my friends were. The important things in life. And in case I forgot, I added little reminders. I feel like that's what New Year's should be about, remembering who you are and what you want in life. When I was 10, I liked fairies and soccer and ya know what? I still like soccer but don't play (and fairies are still pretty, just saying).

 Things I loved in 2000

I don't think 10 year-old me would have thought I'd write a blog (or know what a blog was) about cooking and baking since at the time I was only capable of making Jello. 10 year-old me had a hard time picturing myself at 25 and in that way, 25 year old me has a hard time picturing 26 year-old me. You just never know what life is gonna throw at you but you can control staying true to yourself. Was that a pointless rant on resolutions? Not sure. But I liked it and I liked sharing my glimpse into the past.

Things I love in 2015

As with most January's, I'm using this time to unclutter. More specifically, I'm unsubscribing from soooo many emails. I can't believe how many promotional email lists I've ended up on! I have a tab in my inbox for promotions and most of the time, I just delete them all in batches. So we're thinning it out. Unsubscribe from hotels I'm not going to stay in, shops from which I'm not going to buy things I don't need, overpriced fancy kitchen decor that won't fit in my cabinets. All of the things.

But before we get into the unsubscribing from junk food, first, some fudge. I made this fudge just before the holidays as a road trip snack and hostess gift. I prefer milk or dark chocolate but the pecans make it okay, right?

 

This is very simple to make and no, I didn't use a candy thermometer. Those fall into the category of gadgets I won't buy. Buttermilk, sugar, butter, honey (mmmm), and salt are heated together in a medium saucepan while pecans are roasted in the oven. Once the saucepan ingredients are melted and simmered, it will turn a pale golden color and smell like toffee. This is how you know it's ready. Pour the mixture into a medium bowl and use a mixer to blend it until it has cooled.

 

It will thicken as it cools and become like grainy frosting. The pecans are then chopped and folded into the fudge. Pour everything into a 9x5 loaf pan lined with parchment paper and smooth evenly. Allow the fudge to set for at least one hour before removing and cutting into cubes.

Pawn these off on friends and coworkers, one piece won't break the resolution bank! But never fear, healthy recipes are on their way. No promises for February though.

 
Recipe

  • 1 cup pecans
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 stick unsalted butter cut into pieces (melts faster)
  • 1 Tablespoon honey
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  1. Preheat the oven to 350. Spread the pecans on a rimmed baking sheet and toast in the oven for 10 minutes.
  2. Line a 9x5 loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside. Leave enough paper overhanging so you can grab it later
  3. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the sugar, buttermilk, butter, salt and honey. Stir occasionally to help everything melt smoothly. 
  4. If you're using a candy thermometer, leave on heat until it registers 238. If not, melt until the mixture is a pale golden color and smells like toffee. This will take around 5-8 minutes.
  5. Pour the mixture into a medium bowl. Use an electric mixer to beat until the mixture is cool and thickened. 
  6. Fold the toasted pecans into the fudge mixture and pour everything into the prepared loaf pan.
  7. Allow the fudge to set for at least one hour before removing from the pan and cutting into pieces.
  8. The fudge will last for 1 week in a tightly wrapped container. 



No comments:

Post a Comment