Thursday, April 2, 2015

Kale Salad

When I was growing up, my brother had a pet iguana. His name was George (the iguana, not my brother) and we nicknamed him George of the Jungle. He was a pretty chill lizard, strictly vegetarian, enjoyed baths and being combed. Sometimes, my brother would let me feed George which was a fun thing to watch, like a frog in slow motion.

As I made this salad, I was reminded of preparing food for George. Chopping up vegetables and kale (George was on the kale train before it was cool) like nobody's business. Forget rabbit food, this is iguana food. This isn't meant to discourage you from this salad, merely that there are other animals we can compare ourselves to when eating very healthy, green salads.

I've struggled with making salads before because it seems so uneventful to just have a bowl of vegetables. I came to realize that the secret is in the sauce...dressing. Without that added zest, you really are just eating iguana food. 

My other problem with salad is the mixing. I always make a mess (see picture above) and end up with layers so hopefully I proportioned it out alright!

Lots of veggies are chopped, some chickpeas are rinsed/drained, and if you want, you can also top with some nuts.

Because dressing is not exactly my forte and I forgot to make it, I just used hummus to flavor this. This involved dipping my fork in hummus before taking a bite of hummus or swiping a fork of salad into a tub of hummus. Whichever you prefer!


Recipe
inspired by my name doppelganger, Love & Lemons
  • 1 bundle of Kale
  • 2 carrots, chopped or shredded
  • 1/2 head of broccoli, chopped
  • 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1 green squash, chopped
  • Toasted nuts, if desired

No comments:

Post a Comment