Monday, June 29, 2015

Raspberry Ginger Scones

Remember when I tried to make Muffin Monday a thing? Maybe Scones sMonday would be more accurate. Or Scone Sunday because that's when I make them. But we're back in the kitchen, cutting up cold butter, trying to keep it cold as summer finally hits the heat.

I actually meant to make these a week ago and forgot and then the raspberries went down hill so I saved some of them by freezing for smoothies. Always save for the smoothies. These scones are from an old friend, Joy the Baker's first cookbook. I've been revisiting this old friend recently and found that recipes that were once skipped over are now quite appealing. I initially sticky-tabbed the pages I wanted to try but soon realized I was tabbing every page. And then when I removed the tabs, they stayed sticky so now my book is permanently sticky. So the tabs stay.

As with all scones, we have our dry ingredients and our butter to cut into it. I've found that a pastry cutter is the easiest/cleanest way to accomplish this. The wet ingredients are added next. I didn't have buttermilk so used cashew milk (and warned everyone it was made with nuts) instead. Once the raspberries are folded in, they might break a bit.

An ice cream scoop is super handy for handling the dough (I kept my hands so clean this time!) but you could use regular spoons too. There was a lot of popping happening while the raspberry juices cooked. Ultimately, there were some blue streaks in the scones from the juices cooking (I promise, it wasn't moldy).

I enjoyed this for breakfast with some yogurt but it occurred to me that I could do a scone a la mode as well. Because ice cream for breakfast, duh!

Recipe
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk (I used cashew milk instead)
  • 1 2/3 cups flour
  • 1 1/3 cups old-fashioned oats
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon ginger
  • 10 Tablespoon cold butter
  • 3/4 cup fresh raspberries
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and milk. Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and ginger.
  4. Either grate the cold butter or cut into the dry ingredients directly with a knife, pastry cutter, or your fingers. The idea is to create a course mixture.
  5. Pour the milk mixture into the large bowl and stir with a large spoon or fork to combine. 
  6. Gently fold in the raspberries. 
  7. Use an ice cream scoop or large spoon to scoop the batter onto the baking sheets with parchment. These won't spread a lot so you can place them an inch or two apart.
  8. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until the scones are golden brown. 
  9. Serve with yogurt if desired or plain (with coffee...)

No comments:

Post a Comment