Monday, June 13, 2016

Curried Lentils

My last day in Boston, I woke up to an empty apartment having packed my belongings into suitcases and slept on a sheet-less bed. After having someone come and take my bed away, I couldn't stand being in the shell that was once my apartment. So I spent the day walking around Boston, saying goodbye. I walked the length of Newbury Street, remembering when I was fascinated by all the cupcake shops in the area.

When I reached the end near Hynes Convention Center, I stopped at the Clover Food Lab truck. Food trucks were another thing that Boston introduced to me that I still think is the coolest thing ever and love the creativity and flavors the owners create. At Clover, I chose their curried lentils and ate them near Kenmore, in the shadow of Fenway Park before continuing to Brookline to visit the apartment where the author of some letters I have once lived.

This recipe is inspired by those lentils and it reminded me of that day which was bright and sunny, perfect for a farewell walking tour. Originally, these were served cold and with what I believe was shredded carrots. When I prepared them at home, I ate these lentils warm and with yellow peppers instead but with subtle nods to Boston food trucks. Which are probably subtle nods to other places in the world.

I'm still adjusting to measurement systems here and I had to strain some rice I made after using a flatmate's measuring cups which I now realize was not in cups but some other form of measurement. A similar fail was had with the lentils. I guess it's not really a fail, I just had to strain the lentils like pasta when they were cooked instead of them absorbing all the water. Sorry, lentils!

A red onion, garlic and yellow peppers are sauteed in a drizzle of olive oil. Sprinkled with fresh parsley and curry powder, the aromas start to grow in the kitchen. Lentils and vegetables are stirred together and topped with avocado. It's an easy but filling meal or great as a side. Try it cold for all those barbecues coming up this summer!

Recipe

  • 1 cup lentils
  • 1 large (or 2 small) yellow bell peppers
  • 1 small red onion
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 Tablespoons parsley, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon curry powder
  1. In a medium saucepan, cook the lentils based on package instructions (likely a 1:2 ratio of lentils and water).
  2. In a medium skillet, heat a tablespoon of olive oil (or vegetable or coconut oil). Add the onion and garlic.
  3. Stir in the peppers with the onion and garlic. Saute until softened, adding the parsley and curry as they cook.
  4. In a large bowl, combine the lentils and vegetables, stirring to combine. 
  5. Top with avocado and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment