Monday, August 29, 2016

Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins

A couple weeks ago, I reintroduced Muffin Monday to the blog and introduced it for the first time to my office here in London. Since then, I've been traveling on the weekends, going to festivals and weddings (which are kind of like festivals, right?) so haven't had an opportunity to make more muffins.

 
 Well, I guess I've learned the acceptable gap in Muffin Mondays because I 100% got called out for talking up Muffin Monday and then only bring muffins 'like one time'. So here are some more muffins! And I'm brainstorming some more...but am traveling again over the weekend so another brief hiatus in the Muffin Monday might occur.

 I wasn't sure how much flour I had left so I looked up oatmeal muffins first. However, the recipe I initially chose required the oats to soak for 8-12 hours and ain't nobody got time for that. I might have time for that in the future but not this time. Fortunately, I had exactly enough flour to complete this recipe! Serendipitous. And no butter measurements required, woohoo!

 Flour, oats, sugar, salt, and baking powder are mixed together in a large bowl. In a measuring cup, whisk together one egg, vegetable oil and milk until smooth. Pour into the large bowl with the flour mixture, stirring until combined  and no flour can be seen. Fold in the blueberries last.


 Fill your prepared muffin tin about 2/3 full in each cup and top with cinnamon-sugar.

Remember how I said I wasn't very functional in the morning? Well, I made these first thing on a Sunday morning and when I got to making the topping, I mixed equal parts cinnamon and sugar. That's a lot of cinnamon. Fortunately, I realized my mistake and added more sugar before topping the muffins. Now I have a bunch of cinnamon-sugar leftover but there are worse things to have.

 Bake for about 20-25 minutes, depending on your oven strength, or until firm. Allow to cool slightly before unwrapping, otherwise the muffin bottoms might stick to the paper. Still delicious, but less graceful to eat.

 Recipe
  • 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 cup quick oats
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 3/4 cup blueberries
  • 2 Tablespoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  1. Preheat the oven to 425F. Line a muffin tin with paper cups (or grease the pan well) and set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, oats, sugar (just the 1/2 cup), salt and baking powder.
  3. In a measuring cup or small bowl, whisk together the egg, milk and oil. Pour into the bowl with the dry ingredients.
  4. Mix the batter with a spoon until combined and no flour can be seen.
  5. Fold in the blueberries.
  6. In a small bowl, mix the 2 Tablespoons of sugar and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon. Stir with a small spoon until evenly mixed.
  7. Fill the muffin tin about 2/3 full of batter. Sprinkle cinnamon-sugar mix on top to lightly coat.
  8. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden-brown and cooked through.
  9. Allow to cool slightly before serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment