If you follow this blog regularly, which I hope you do, you will know that I went to London back in February. Even though we live in a modern world, my cell phone didn't work overseas so I didn't have Google maps to guide me. Instead, I randomly snagged a map in a hotel lobby (a hotel in which I was not staying) to keep with me as a guide. We're going old school!
This little map was my closest friend during my trip (don't tell the friends I was traveling with!). I left it behind once and got spectacularly lost so it never left my side again. As is bound to happen when I travel, everything seems like an important souvenir. This map has sat on my coffee table for 5 months, reminding me of the good times and asking for some love and attention.
Coasters not included, this project cost about $10. Using the coasters as a stencil, I traced areas of the maps of importance: Kensington Palace, Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square and St.Paul's Cathedral. I traced slightly larger than the surface area of the coaster so I had some edges to glue down on the sides.
Once the glue dries, you can add another coat for extra protection but I found that one was good enough! Huge success and now my precious map is on display but in a functional capacity.
- Coasters of your choosing
- Map/Paper of your choosing
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Modge Podge
- Foam Brush
- Place the coaster facedown over the area of the map (or paper) you want to use. Using a pen or marker, trace the outline of the coaster, allowing some extra space so you have some overhang.
- Carefully cut out each stencil.
- Clean the surface of each coaster with a cotton ball dipped in rubbing alcohol.
- Once the alcohol has dried, use the brush to spread a thin coat of Modge Podge across the surface and the edge of the coaster.
- Carefully place a segment of map in the center of the sticky coaster. Smooth out the paper to remove any air pockets.
- Use the brush to coat the map surface with a layer of Modge Podge. You can use the brush for the edges as well but I found it easier to first press down with my fingers to have some weight to it and then add another coat of glue for sealant.
- Repeat for each coaster.
- Allow to dry before stacking or using!
- Brag to your friends using #humblebrag for added effect.