Friday, June 26, 2015

DIY Map Coasters

Today we're getting crafty. Please do not eat the glue. I know this blog has been almost entirely devoted to food but I made these coasters last weekend and I'm super proud of my Pinterest success that I wanted to share!

If you follow this blog regularly, which I hope you do, you will know that I went to London back in February. Even though we live in a modern world, my cell phone didn't work overseas so I didn't have Google maps to guide me. Instead, I randomly snagged a map in a hotel lobby (a hotel in which I was not staying) to keep with me as a guide. We're going old school!

This little map was my closest friend during my trip (don't tell the friends I was traveling with!). I left it behind once and got spectacularly lost so it never left my side again. As is bound to happen when I travel, everything seems like an important souvenir. This map has sat on my coffee table for 5 months, reminding me of the good times and asking for some love and attention.

 
Maps are a hot item right now, there are a number of map crafts out there on Pinterest so it was pretty easy to find the how-to's to make these into coasters. All it required was some glue and a sponge brush. I went to pick up some Modge Podge and was surprised to find all these different varieties! Which one did I need?? It was easy to rule out the glitter or glow-in-the-dark Modge Podge. Ultimately, I picked the one that was dishwasher safe (really?), assuming that as coasters, it would be important to withstand some water.

Coasters not included, this project cost about $10. Using the coasters as a stencil, I traced areas of the maps of importance: Kensington Palace, Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square and St.Paul's Cathedral. I traced slightly larger than the surface area of the coaster so I had some edges to glue down on the sides.

 
This gets a little sticky. Once you have your map pieces, clean the coasters with rubbing alcohol. I was definitely grossed out by this part. Coat the top and edges of the coasters with the Modge Podge and place the map piece on top. Smooth the paper down to remove any air bubbles. Coat again with a layer of Modge Podge to seal it in. I found it easiest to use my fingers to glue down the edges.

Once the glue dries, you can add another coat for extra protection but I found that one was good enough! Huge success and now my precious map is on display but in a functional capacity.

Materials
  • Coasters of your choosing
  • Map/Paper of your choosing
  • Rubbing Alcohol 
  • Modge Podge
  • Foam Brush 
  1. Place the coaster facedown over the area of the map (or paper) you want to use. Using a pen or marker, trace the outline of the coaster, allowing some extra space so you have some overhang.
  2. Carefully cut out each stencil.
  3. Clean the surface of each coaster with a cotton ball dipped in rubbing alcohol.
  4. Once the alcohol has dried, use the brush to spread a thin coat of Modge Podge across the surface and the edge of the coaster.
  5. Carefully place a segment of map in the center of the sticky coaster. Smooth out the paper to remove any air pockets.
  6. Use the brush to coat the map surface with a layer of Modge Podge. You can use the brush for the edges as well but I found it easier to first press down with my fingers to have some weight to it and then add another coat of glue for sealant.
  7. Repeat for each coaster.
  8. Allow to dry before stacking or using!
  9. Brag to your friends using #humblebrag for added effect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment