Monday, October 10, 2016

Green Matcha Smoothie

Do you know what matcha is? Do you think it's the same thing as maca? If you answered no and yes to these questions, you are not alone. Matcha was a big buzz word last year with cafes offering matcha lattes and these crazy looking comb things for matcha lattes. Maca...well, until I saw them on a menu side by side I realized I didn't really know they were two separate things but I think it has to do with chocolate.

Matcha is bright green and if you can taste color, it tastes green too. It's a subtle flavor so a plain matcha latte isn't a big deal but I've found adding some honey really brightens the drink up. Matcha has some caffeine in it but isn't as acidic as coffee. Other benefits I've discovered from Googling matcha, it is full of antioxidants, naturally detoxifies your body and can help with focus/attention. Sign up me at about 2pm every day.

 
I'm experimenting with different smoothie recipes to mix it up. The basic chocolate smoothie recipe is still great but I got some matcha samples at a Sweaty Betty event a couple weeks ago and thought the powder would make a vibrant green shake (spoiler alert: it did).

Usually green smoothies have spinach, apple, avocado, cucumber, all the different green fruits and vegetables. These did contribute to the green but the matcha really made it pop.

 
In a blender, combine coconut milk (for a little sweetness), avocado, spinach, vanilla protein powder and matcha. Blend until deliciously smooth. That's it! Super simple, perfect for getting through the morning mental fog.

Recipe

  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • 1/2 ripe avocado
  • 1 cup of spinach
  • 1 Tablespoon matcha powder
  • 2 scoops protein powder (Arbonne is my preference) 
  1. In a blender, combine all ingredients until smooth. The end!

No comments:

Post a Comment