Monday, October 13, 2014

Pumpkin French Toast with Apple Cider Pumpkin Butter

For most people, this is just another Monday but fortunately for me, it's a day off! Long weekends are perfect for sleeping in, coffee dates and brunch. This weekend was full of brunches for me, one with blogger friends and one with day-to-day friends. Even though brunch is a breakfast-lunch hybrid, I always assume brunch food to be things like pancakes, waffles, eggs and general breakfast foods.

 
The first weekend brunch was more of a lunch but man oh man was it delicious. We went to Del Frisco's in Burlington and were treated to samples from their appetizer, entree and dessert menu.
 
While each menu varies by location (slightly), this Del Frisco's is designed to be more family friendly. I must say that their flatbreads and Philly cheesesteak egg rolls were definitely family friendly but sophisticated enough for adults that it didn't feel like a standard family place like Friendly's. And save me from myself, those Philly cheesesteak egg rolls were amaaazzzziiiiiing.
 
Lucky for my waistband, the portions were smaller than standard menu items. The dessert options included mini coconut cream pies and adult milkshakes, also miniature. I thought the coconut pie would be weird, it sounds too tropical but it was delicious and like a custard pie with fresh whipped cream on top. And of course coconut shavings.

 
For my brunch menu, I was more focused on breakfast items. This included french toast from Shutterbean. I altered the recipe a little bit to use apple cider pumpkin butter instead of pumpkin butter. It's pretty simple to make the butter and then you simply add some to your regular french toast recipe for extra flavor. I prefer using Challah bread for french toast which makes fluffy slices but brioche would also work (as recommended by Shutterbean).

 
I can't believe we're half-way through October and so far I've kept up my promise for many pumpkin treats. I'm also moving towards some squash recipes, everything orange. I realize that orange is probably my favorite color. It's hard to decide but I always worried loving red, orange and yellow was more fiery and angry sounding (Aries unite!). But now I've come to the conclusion that it's really fall colors that I love. It's so hard to capture that perfect orange of autumn leaves but pumpkins and other squash certainly compliment it all very well.

 
Apple Cider Pumpkin Butter
  • 1 15oz can of pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 cup of brown sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup of apple cider
  • 1 teaspoon ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • Pinch of salt
  1. Combine all ingredients into a medium sauce pan.
  2. Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce heat slightly.
  3. Allow the mixture to cook for about half an hour, stirring frequently until thickened.
  4. Remove from heat and allow to cool before placing in jars. This makes about two mason jars of butter.
 Use this butter with Shutterbean's french toast recipe or on toast. This will last in the fridge for up to 1 week. 


No comments:

Post a Comment