Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Pumpkin Oatmeal

We're starting a trend, right here and right now. Pumpkin has returned to the blog. Apples are great too but I love the color orange and the fall leaves put me in the perfect mood for squash and pumpkins. So this will be first of hopefully many entries on pumpkin and just when you're sick of pumpkin everything, we'll move on.

There is literally a pumpkin spice for everything under the sun. I toured a cider house (because cider is also amazing and autumnal) and they made it very clear they were not making a pumpkin cider or pumpkin spice cider or blueberry cider for that matter. Works for me! I like my pumpkin in baked goods and coffee. And apparently breakfast items.

 
When I was a kid, after my pancake for every meal phase and before my Lego My Eggo phase, I was obsessed with oatmeal. We even had oatmeal with little dinosaur marshmallows in them. I have no idea where you would find this stuff now, I think you're stuck with Quaker Oats, but it was magical. This was the only time the ads on the back of the box worked and we sent away for color changing bowls. What likely ended my oatmeal phase was my brother deciding that oatmeal was no longer cool. He was definitely right there with me on the color changing bowls but eventually, he changed his tune and started telling me it would make my muscles squishy.

 
Many years later and my muscles are just gonna be squishy because oatmeal in the fall with a little brown sugar and cinnamon plus a side of coffee is heavenly. While perusing the internet last week, a recipe for pumpkin oatmeal caught my eye. Although I've graduated from the little packets of oatmeal, I still microwave my plain oats so this was a step in the fresh direction making it on the stove top.

 
It's extremely simple to make and tastes like pumpkin pudding. A little bit of maple syrup, pumpkin, cinnamon and almond milk went a long way in making this breakfast ready for fall. Remember when we had cookies for breakfast?? Well, we're all grown up now and we're having vegetables for breakfast instead. My childhood sobs.

Recipe
(Adapted from edible perspective)
  • 2/3 cup pumpkin puree (canned or fresh)
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • Dash of cloves
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 cup quick oats
  • 1 cup water
  • 3/4 cup almond milk
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 2 teaspoons maple syrup
  1. In a medium heated pan, cook the pumpkin puree until it has reduced to about 1/3 cup and is golden brown (5-7 minutes).
  2. Add the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and salt to the cooked pumpkin and stir well. 
  3. Add the oats, water and milk to the pot and stir to combine.
  4. Allow the mixture to come to a boil before setting to a simmer. Cook for another 3-4 minutes or until the oatmeal has thickened.
  5. Stir in the vanilla and maple syrup.
  6. Portion into bowls and serve fresh.
You can also reheat this but it becomes a little thicker after being refrigerated. Makes 2-3 bowls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment