Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Zucchini Cakes

You know you've had your blog for awhile when...you can't remember if you've posted a recipe already. Back before I was blogging about my kitchen adventures, I tested a recipe for zucchini cakes. These aren't savory cakes but are more like substitute veggie burgers. This recipe is super simple to make and would be great with a yogurt sauce but I used ranch dressing as a side.


We know that cucumbers and zucchini are great for summer salads, adding a cool and crispy touch. They're also used for cooling properties on the eyes and are full of water. I didn't realize how much water until I made this recipe. After shredding the zucchini over a towel, you wring out all of the water. Lots of green water.

I got fancy with Paint
The zucchini shreds are added to a bowl with bread crumbs (I used panko bread crumbs because it adds some crunch), garlic, Parmesan cheese, nutmeg, cinnamon and one egg. The whole thing gets mixed together before forming patties to lightly fry in a pan. It's likely you can grill these as well but I haven't tried it before.

I love that this recipe is easy to make and easy to clean up. One bowl, just a few ingredients and room to expand on seasonings or sauces.

Recipe
  • One large zucchini
  • Two cloves of garlic
  • 1 cup of bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
  • 1 egg
  • Nutmeg
  • Salt & pepper
  1. Shred the zucchini using a cheese grater over a paper towel. Once the zucchini is shredded, gently squeeze the water out of the vegetable and paper towel. Be careful not to bust the paper towel.
  2. Combine all of the ingredients except for the oil in a mixing bowl.
  3. Form patties with your hands or two large spoons.
  4. In a skillet or pan, heat the oil and lightly fry the patties, flattening with a spatula as you add them to the pan.
  5. Once the cakes are golden, flip over and continue to cook. 
  6. Serve plain or with dressing or sauces.

No comments:

Post a Comment