Friday, April 24, 2015

Cashew Mustard Vinaigrette

I'm not inventive when it comes to salad. We've reviewed this. We've also reviewed how the proof is in the pudding or dressing, rather. So this lovely kale salad I made previously was just fine with hummus but was even better with this dressing (and with spinach instead of kale...).

I improvised a little bit with this recipe. I didn't have regular balsamic vinaigrette but I did have a raspberry variety which I got for Christmas (along with a chocolate vinaigrette, haven't experimented with that one yet). I also don't keep mustard around. I have some right now from deviled eggs making and then also from Christmas (I'm sensing a theme to my gifts). My nickname in my family is Monkey so there's often an exchange of monkey-themed gifts.

Salad dressing is super easy to make and it's reassuring to know what exactly is in this situation. Cashews are on the brink of being a vice of mine. Everything in moderation but I had to restrain myself from eating all of the cashews before making this dressing. I even had backup peanuts ready to go, just in case.

Cashews and a little bit of water are processed together until very chopped. The rest of the ingredients are added and blended until smooth. I used my lesser of two food processors so there were still some nut pieces in the final product but we put nuts on top of salads all the time so what's the harm in a little crunch? If you used a super blender, I'm sure your dressing will be perfectly liquefied.

The mustard I used gave a little spiciness to the dressing but the raspberry evened it out so it wasn't actually spicy, just the right amount of zing. I'm inspired to use this mustard on something else like chicken or something where I can taste the flavor more...perhaps another round of deviled eggs are in order.


Recipe
  • 1/4 cup of cashews
  • 2 Tablespoons red onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup of water
  • 1/4 cup of balsamic vinaigrette
  • 1 Tablespoon mustard (spicy or Dijon)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  1. In a food processor, combine the cashews, onion and water. Blend until nearly smooth.
  2. Add the vinaigrette, mustard and spices. If you prefer a spicier dressing and are using regular mustard, you can add some paprika or chili powder for kick (or even sriracha).
  3. Blend everything until smooth. You can see that my cashews didn't turn into oblivion but the dressing was still good.
  4. Pour over salad of your choice and enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment