Monday, December 14, 2015

Stocking Stuffers

Every year, I plan to expand on the number of homemade gifts I give. Thoughtful things like homemade spice mixes, sauces and jams. But I also like to give cookies, truffles, granola and the traditional family 'trash'.

 
I almost didn't get a tree this year, just wasn't feeling the magic. But it turns out the tree is very integral in adding the magic. So yes, I carried my little tree on public transit. It's cool. And then I busted out the flour and butter and got to work. If you're feeling like you want to spend some extra time on some homemade treats, I recommend some of the following:
  1. Trash- A tradition in my family, you can add whatever snackies you'd like! I use Chex cereal, pretzels, peanuts, pecans, and almonds coated in soy sauce and sriracha. Nooooms. 
  2. Truffles- A little messy but a lot delicious. There are so many options too in case your gift recipient has picky taste.
     
  3. Granola- I've made some granola in my time but this article from Food52 made me confident that I can wing it in the granola department. 
  4. Sugar Cookies- Classic. Can't go wrong. My sister was afraid of the hassle of sugar cookies but alas, she was triumphant! 
     
  5. Ginger Cookies- Because it turns out I have more cookie cutters than I realized, let's get some variety in those goody bags!
  6. Buck-Eyes- Peanut butter and chocolate: you can't go wrong! I haven't actually made these yet but they caught my eye (see what happened there?).
  7. Popcorn- I made this popcorn a couple years ago and it was tasty. Shutterbean is really on top of her popcorn game.
  8. Candy Cane Vodka- Also from Shutterbean, I made this for my sister a couple years ago. I'm thinking martinis would be good here. 
  9. Scones in a Jar- Successfully made these and sent to my grandfather. He opened his gift early, it's cool. But all you need to do is add the dry ingredients in a jar and then instructions on what else is added (butter, egg, etc.). Super easy. 
  10. Cherry Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies- There are more delicious things in this cookie but the name is already a tongue twister. It's basically a classy upgrade to the traditional oatmeal raisin plus chocolate. 
It seems like a lot but what's better than turning on some holiday tunes and hanging out in the kitchen with family? If your tree is providing mood lighting, even better. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment