Thursday, May 28, 2015

Chocolate Breakfast Smoothie

Breaking news: breakfast is the most important meal of the day! It's also the most delicious! Okay, neither of these are ground-breaking headlines BUT they're super true. Sweet breakfast is my favorite: waffles, pancakes, french toast, donuts, muffins, scones. Oh look at that, I've made them all (and a lotta pumpkin)!

But realistically, I can't eat these things for breakfast every day for an abundance of reasons. First and foremost, because of time constraints. Secondly, and probably more importantly, I would be a thousand pounds if I ate what I want at all times.

So I've come up with alternatives for breakfast. Generally speaking, I don't believe a liquid diet is sustainable or that a juice is a meal, even if I did juice for dinner this week. However, if I can trick my body into thinking it's having a milkshake for breakfast, we're in business. For my birthday, a friend gave me the Oh She Glows cookbook. Another blog to check out! There are some very tasty recipes in here but naturally I tried the chocolate one first.

Gradually, I've hidden more and more tasty things in these smoothies. Avocados make this extra creamy and like I'm eating actual ice cream. But the spinach gets hidden (save for a few green flecks) beneath a tiny amount of cocoa powder and chocolate protein powder (optional). I even added some berries in recent weeks.

Everything is blended until smooth. If you prefer a more velvety texture, use half an avocado. Otherwise, a frozen banana will suffice.

Recipe
  • 1 cup non-dairy milk (I usually use almond milk)
  • 1 handful of spinach
  • 1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 scoop chocolate protein powder (optional)
  • 1/2 an avocado (or 1/2 a frozen banana)
  • Handful of berries, dried dates or frozen fruit of your choosing for added sweetness 
  • Chia seeds if you feel so inclined 
  1. Blend everything together.
  2. Serve and enjoy! Super simple. 

No comments:

Post a Comment