So this is a bit of a drop sugar cookie that's lighter than your usual cookie dough. It is soft enough that a melon baller (or ice cream scoop) is sufficient in scooping the batter onto the cookie sheets. Sprinkled with a little red and green and you have a festive treat! This recipe makes a smaller quantity of cookies as well compared to other batters.
Butter and sugar are beaten together until creamy (only half a stick of butter is used!). Next comes the egg and lastly, the dry ingredients and milk (alternating). All of this sound familiar? You can top these cookies with crushed candy cane or sprinkles. Or you can leave them plain if you really want to.
Once they're baked to golden perfection, enjoy with your family or serve to Santa!
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- 3-4 Tablespoons crushed candy cane or sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- In a medium bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the egg and mix to combine.
- In a small bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (flour through nutmeg). Gradually mix into the butter mixture, alternating with the milk.
- Using a teaspoon or melon baller, scoop dough onto cookie sheets, about 1-1 1/2 inches apart. These will spread as they cook.
- Top with candy cane or sprinkles before popping in the oven.
- Cookies will bake in about 10 minutes. Remove when golden brown.