Garlic and onion are sauteed in oil with spices to get things cookin'. Nice and fragrant. Next, we add the broth and lentils to start softening them up. Once the broth reaches a low boil, in goes the cauliflower and sweet potato. I had intended to add carrots but I forgot! The soup is left to simmer until the vegetables are nice and tender. I like to see how the cauliflower is dyed yellow from the curry powder.
Serve hot and curl up with dreams of summer dresses and picnics.
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, chopped with stems removed
- 1-2 handfuls of spinach, roughly chopped
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil. Saute the onion and garlic until slightly translucent.
- Add the spices and cook until fragrant.
- Next, add the vegetable broth and lentils. Stir to incorporate the spices. Bring the mixture to a low boil.
- Once the soup is at a low boil, add the diced sweet potato and cauliflower. Return to a low boil, then reduce the heat and simmer (covered) for 20-25 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Lastly, add the chopped spinach. Stir into the soup and allow to wilt. It's okay if the burner is off for this part.
- Serve hot or save for reheat.